Thursday, July 26, 2012

Me 'n' Grumpy Bear

Yep, that's me...Grumpy Bear.  Boy have I had a terrible week...I'm not too proud to admit that I've been in a bad mood...

It just seems that nothing has gone right this week.

It's been hot, which seems to make everyone grumpy and miserable.  There's been no rain, which makes Mark (the handsome, husband-farmer-of-mine) extra grumpy.  Even I get a little grumpy when I think about what the outcome of a drought could mean for our community.

I've struggled with my Statistics class this week (I can't even say the word...if I've made it this long in life without knowing about Statistics, why do I have to learn now??!!).

Because it's been so hot, we've been so tired...and because we've been so tired, we haven't gotten up to work out at the gym...so I feel extra fat right now.

It's been slow in the store, and to top it all off, I haven't felt good.  In fact, I've felt down right yucky.  With the extra dry conditions and lack of rain, it seems that my allergies have gone into overdrive.

Wah, Wah, WAH!!  I literally say it to myself as I write this sad, soapy monologue...

I can hear my dad (or rather see him) rubbing his thumb and forefinger together...telling me this is the worlds smallest violin, playing my heart weeps for you...

Oh, dads sometimes!!

Have you ever felt like this?  Like no matter how hard you try to see that the glass is half full, all you see is an empty glass?
 
Last night, as I was thinking about my week (okay, I was moping) I was perusing through my iTunes library and ran across a fave of mine...and man is it a good one.

Steven Curtis Chapman...Be Still and Know.

Oh man, those words are like honey to my broken soul...in all the chaos of our lives, in all that we do...all we have to do is BE STILL and know that He is GOD.  That's it.  We don't need to get all upset over nothing, because HE is in control of EVERYTHING.  Even when we don't think about how God is working on our behalf, HE IS.  He is our father and we can always rest our hearts on Him.

I am reminded to stand in awe of Him, because He will never change.  EVER.

My favorite line in the song:

"be still o restless heart of mine...bow before the Prince of Peace...let the noise and clamor cease..."

Let those words sink in:  be still...let the noise and clamor cease...that's all my "wah, wah, wah" moments I just moped about.  The best cure for all that chaos?  A few moments with the Lord.  All we have to do is BREATHE him into our souls...let His love and mercy fill us up when we are deflated.  He is really all that I need.  When I think about it like this, all the noise and clamor does cease.

Thanks to one of my good friends, I've started doing yoga.  While I admit that it's incredibly much harder to do than it appears to be (I fall over almost every time I do it), there is something I absolutely love about it.  It's actually at the very end of my Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga Video that is my favorite.  Bob tells us to lay on the floor, palms up, and let ourselves "drop onto the floor".  We take deep breaths and push all negativity from our minds...so, I tune everything out of my mind, lay there with my palms facing up and I can feel my body relaxing.  (It's a good thing that Mark has never walked in on me during this part of the video, because I'm sure I would get teased)

This is why this part is my favorite:

I would imagine that this is what it's like to "be still" in front of the Lord.  Just sit with Him.  Let the absolute presence of the Lord be enough to calm us.  Be still.  Not be still and pay some bills, or watch some tv, or do some homework...but BE STILL.  Not move, just breathe in the amazingly beautiful glow of our Savior.

I can tell you, after I listened to the words of the song a few times last night, my little heart drifted off to a very content sleep...

Today, my attitude was better.

And, it rained (Praise Jesus!!).

I hope the next time you have a Grumpy Bear moment, try to remember to BE STILL...Be Speechless before the Lord.

Here is the song....


"Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; 
do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes"
~Psalms 37:10



2 comments:

  1. Patricia Maiden-LewisJuly 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM

    Renee, how do you do it? How do you know to blog about what I am going through right at this moment? Amazing isn't it. You see, I saw that you had posted that you had did another blog entry yesterday, but I didn't take time to read it because I was busy. Well, after reading it, I realize that God didn't want me to read it yesterday because He knew today I would need it the most. I woke up and noticed that a job I applied for is posted again. My spirits hit rock bottom. I got depressed and felt like just giving up. I've been on interviews and nothing! No call backs!!! Nothing!!! I wanted to cry but couldn't because I said why waste the tears. I found myself wondering if God would ever see fit to bless me? Then I read your blog, and thought about what you said, "Stand still." Donnie McClurkin has a gospel song titled "Stand." In it, he says, "After you've done all you can, you just STAND." The song you posted here reminds me of that. I admit it's hard. My life has been in a downward spin lately. I find that I have grown tired of the constant disappointments and let downs. However, thanks for reminding me that life is too important to give up on. 2 Timothy 1:7 says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." Fear makes us weak, and right now I am very weak. However, after reading your words, I know that I have to be strong and not let fear overtake me and to focus on His Word.

    <3 Ya Girl!!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest your heart, my dear friend!! I know its so hard to not be afraid, but God really is watching over the situation you are in. You know the Bible tells us if he cares about a sparrow, how much more does the Lord love you? He will not let you fall, believe and trust in Him to take you where He wants you. Can you even imagine the blessings He will shower on you?? You are right, fear does make us weak, and we know that it's the devil at work. If you do not fear, imagine the work you can do for the Lord? Set your face to the Son and you will not see the darkness. It will be okay!! Much love to you!!

      Delete